Welcome to the happynesshub Forums Happychat Meet Marta: Have any questions or comments on meditation? Write them here…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

The Magical Marta, as she is now officially called, is around for the next hour to talk all things meditation. If you have any queries or comments she would love to hear from you!

(If you miss the hour slot, not to worry, that’s the brilliant thing with forums, write your thoughts anyway and Marta will return!)

xx

Paul
    Participant

Hi MM,

Really enjoying the morning stretches and breathing. Feeling really energised by them afterwards and very focused which isn’t what I was expecting for some reason.

You’ve inspired me to buy a yoga mat. I’ll keep you posted ?

Dena
    Participant

I woke up at 5am this morning with my mind buzzing about the busy day ahead. I then put on Marta’s 20 minute meditation. After a few minutes, the mind chatter stilled and I felt relaxed. When it finished I slept till the alarm. Brilliant!

Aris
    Participant

Hi Marta, I started yesterday doing the breathing and stretching exercises. I have to say it feels very good to get back to those things as it brought back to my memory my theatre education!
    One thing I observed while doing them yesterday is that my body movement and breathing has small gaps from one point to another instead of a fluid motion. I know that this is an indication of anxiety, but at least it improves as I get further into the days exercise which is good really!
    I particularly liked when you mentioned the word “accept” in your instructions to observe the behaviour of our body during the exercise. I think it’s very important not only to acknowledge where you are but also to accept your current status in order to progress, make changes etc.
    So good stuff there, see you soon!

CheshireCat
    Participant

Hi Marta, I’ve tried the meditations but struggle to concentrate as I get all fidgety and my bum goes numb. Have you got any tips to help??

Sallyann Keizer
    Keymaster

Hi Marta – just realised I can speak to you here! Hello. Is it OK to meditate in the bath? I’m guessing you don’t get the full effect – but in true Paul style I am trying to intensify my Happy Activity with a bit of Marta magic?!

Geri
    Participant

Hi Marta, really love the breathing exercises! What really surprised me was that I didn’t even realise what my actual BREATHING was like until I really stopped and blocked out everything except my breathing….I am now becoming more aware of how the exercises can influence how you feel and take you to a space that’s just your own…thank you Marta! ??

Dena
    Participant

I really like the visualisation of the ‘flame of healing light’. Each time I listen to this one the colour changes and seems to concentrate on different parts of my body. Its a peaceful experience and stays with me for quite a while afterwards. I wonder what todays colour will be?

CatherineR
    Participant

Geri – which meditation is the flame mentioned in? I love the sound of this. What colours has it been so far and what do you think they’ve been representing?

Aris – my breath does exactly the same! It can be pretty staggered when I’m wanting it to flow. I have slight asthma so always thought it might be to do with that, somehow. Maybe something about me trying to make my lungs work better?? But maybe it’s more about practice or it’s my stresses being released..? Do you have any insight in to this, Marta?

Aris
    Participant

Catherine I am trying to recall what my teacher used to say about these problems, so it might not be a very accurate recreation of her explanation. According to her all the anxiety and stress are concentrated in the diaphragm making it one of the first body parts to be damaged. So the fragmented breathing and body movement is most likely tension gathered there from stress.
    The good news is that when I progress into the exercise these fragmented movements fade away gradually. Also the meditation has the same effects relaxing my nervous system.

Sallyann Keizer
    Keymaster

I used to get little sharp pains in my chest when I meditated. It went on for a while, when I was a beginner, I always thought this was stress too. Loads of people said to be it was withheld grief. Again refer to you Marta? Aris – you’ve been on my mind today – who are you doing? x

Marta
    Participant

Hi All. Midnight has arrived, working day has officially ended. The time to connect with my fellow meditating souls has arrived. Thank you for your comments and enquiries everyone.

Paul, great to hear from you and great to see you practising (regardless of the pant pattern :) )
    Meditation has got an amazing capacity to balance the nervous system, especially when we focus on the breath. Feeling energised is one of the benefits that you are getting out of practice. And this is just a beginning!

Dena, I am so glad to hear you discovered the exactly opposite spectrum of meditation’s benefit, to Paul’s experience (above) In this instance, your nervous system clearly needed a gentle persuasion to remain tranquil, and meditation and breath awareness can do it for you easily. You are simply inviting sense of balance, when needed. Keep breathing, keep meditating!
    Ps. You see the colours of your healing light?! That’s beautiful. Seriously. Let it trickle and do its work. Love it. Thank you for sharing it.

Aris, thank you for mentioning acceptance here. If we sprinkle an attitude of acceptance generously into the way we are, we get a chance to move forward..with the body, the state of mind, our emotions, etc. Just like you said: to progress and make changes. Often fluidity of the movement and breath come with repetition and familiarity of practice. If it is initially a little bumpy and a little jagged (both: breath and movement) see how it feels if you practice the same routine few more times. All becomes little smoother and smoother until transitions are barely noticeable. Another thing: let yourself be playful and light-hearted as you practice and let me know how it goes ;)
    Also, as per your exchange with CatherineR and Sally, very valid point about the diaphragm and stress withheld and then being released. Another thought that may, or may not apply to you all, it could be as simple as capacity of your lungs increasing and each time you are finding your breath bumpy. It could be a shift towards a greater inhalation? Play with it, watch your breath and let me know. What a joy learn from you guys!

CheshireCat, first thing you do to deal with “numb bum” syndrome is experiment with your posture for meditation. Sit on a pile of blankets, perhaps with your back against a wall (click our new “Peace of Mind” button on Homepage) Offer your body ALL support right at the start, so your focus doesn’t get hijacked by discomfort of the body. Some schools of meditation say “sometimes you have to become comfortable with being uncomfortable”, but I feel it applies only to little urges to move, shift, scratch, etc, rather than being genuinely uncomfortable.
    As for struggling to concentrate: concentration is something that we learn by repetition. We begin by paying attention to a part of the body, or breath.. and then our attention gets hijacked by something else. In response, we acknowledge that fact, and we return to whatever we are paying attention to. And we do this as many times, as many hijacking events occur. Literally. Sometimes it can be frustrating, sometimes almost funny. All you do is keep going.

Sally, as long as you are not about to drift off into deep sleep Dena-style, please do meditate in the bath. There’s no such thing as-too-much-of-good-things-happening-at-once!

Geri, thank you for the breathing post. This is one of the worst hidden secrets of mental and emotional wellbeing, which you are discovering. Breath opens us up to questions and often offers the answers. The more you explore it, the more it begins to assist you on a conscious level as a tool to navigate through the life’s challenges. Breathe and smile :)

Love to you all,
    Marta

Aris
    Participant

Thanks Marta I feel that the more I do the exercises the more my breath becomes smoother and fluid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.